Major Joseph McJunkin Wounded

Major McJunkin, as has been stated, having received intelligence of Roebuck's battle, started on his return to Brandon's headquarters.  On the night of the same day, March 2, 1781, while absent from the main body of his command accompanied by a single soldier, as a scouting party, he had an encounter with a  few Tories and received a ball in his right arm, which measurably disabled him from service for the balance of the war. 

The details of this transaction are not given in the written narrative before the writer.  He therefore takes the liberty of making another extract from the Magnolia.  (See January number of the Magnolia for 1843, page 39.)  The whole article is understood to be from the pen of a distinguished judge of South Carolina:

"On his return he and Lawson, one of his men, scouting at a distance from the rest of the party,  rode up toward a house at night.  At the gate they were confronted by three Tories; Fight or die was the only alternative.  He and Lawson presented their rifles at two.  Lawson's gun fired clear and killed his man.  The Major's gun fired also, but was a mere squib and produced no other effect than to set fire to his adversary's shirt.  As Lawson's antagonist fell he jumped down,  picked up his gun and shot down the other Tory and passed his sword through his body.  The Major's fire so disconcerted his adversary that he missed him.  The Major charged, sword in hand; his adversary fled.  His flight on horseback soon caused his shirt to burn like a candle.  This light so disconcerted McJunkin's horse that be could not make him charge the fugitive.  After running him a mile to get a blow at him he ran his horse alongside.  At that instant the flying Tory drew a pistol, fired, and the ball struck and broke McJunkin's sword arm.  His sword was, luckily, fastened to his wrist by a leather string.  As his arm fell powerless by his side he caught the sword in his left hand and drew it off his sword arm, and with a back handed blow as their horses ran side by side he killed his man.  Lawson's second man recovered, notwithstanding he was shot and run through with a sword."

Notwithstanding the severity and inconvenience of this wound, Major McJunkin rejoined his men and continued his march to Brandon's camp that night.  Here his pain became so excruciating that some of his soldiers cut the ball out of his arm with a dull razor.

For safety during the period necessary for his recovery he was carried by a party of his men into an unfrequented part of the country lying on Brown's Creek and his wants cared for in the midst of a dense thicket.  The appearance of his wounded arm beginning to indicate great danger, one of his fellow soldiers by great exertions and personal danger succeeded in bringing Dr. Ross to his place of concealment.  The name of this soldier was David Brown.

Under the treatment of Dr. Ross his wound began to heal and the prospect of recovery to grow bright.  But here a new danger appeared.  The Tories, learning the place of his retreat, were making arrangements to march upon his party.  To avoid this difficulty he was carried by his men across Broad River into the vicinity of the Rev. Dr. Joseph Alexander,  whose house, says Major McJunkin, was a real Lazaretto for the sick and wounded of our army.

Here he took the smallpox in the natural way.  His mother came over to wait upon him, took the disease and died.  Here he remained however, until partially recovered both of his wound and disease. 

horizontal rule